Spring 2015 CLIMBING WALL HOURS
Sunday, Monday, Wednesday: 4pm-8pm
Tuesday + Thursday: 2pm - 8pm*
*Lead Climbing Priority from 6pm - 8pm
The Outdoor Connection Center climbing wall is located in gymnasium 1 of the HPER building (second floor). Completed in the Summer of 2014 and made by El Dorado Walls this 35 ft structure features multiple top rope anchors including access to lead climbing options. The wall also boasts a vertical crack, a roof section, and a belay ledge.
Only individuals with a valid UA student I.D., HPER members, or valid guest pass may use the Climbing Wall during operating hours and must show valid I.D. prior to each use. All climbers, regardless of ability, must successfully complete the belay skills check to belay others. If you want to try climbing and do not have time for a belay clinic, our friendly staff will assist you. Orientation clinics and skills checks are valid for one academic calendar year. All climbing wall instruction is created for indoor climbing only.
Children ages 5-14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Participants ages 15-17 that are not a UA student must be accompanied by an adult HPER member. Climbers must be at least 17 years of age to belay.
All climbing equipment, including harnesses, belay devices and climbing shoes, are available for check-out at the Wall at no additional cost. All equipment is for use on the Climbing Wall only. Climbers are welcome to use their personal harness, shoes, chalk, and helmet if approved by the Climbing Wall Supervisor on duty.
Belay clinics are to teach participants of a variety of experience levels the particular policies and required methods for safely belaying at our climbing wall. A belay clinic is NOT a certification course and is not intended to provide an adequate level of instruction for a climber to climb outside on their own. Upon completion of a belay clinic, participants must wait until the following day to complete a skills assessment.
Climbing Wall participants must successfully complete a belay skills assessment to belay other participants. Anyone who has completed a belay clinic or who has an adequate level of climbing experience and competence is eligible for a belay skills assessment. Belay skills assessments are valid beginning the day the assessment is completed until the following June. Belay skills assessments must be completed no earlier than one day after a participant completed their belay clinic.
Lead Climbing Clinic
This clinic is designed to educate participants on the practices and policies required for lead climbing at our indoor climbing wall, while also creating a general foundation climbers can take with them when they leave the clinic. Topics covered in the clinic are proper communication, lead belaying, climbing and clipping techniques, falling, rope management, and risk mitigation. After completion of the course you will need to pass the lead climbing and belaying test in order to lead climb at the wall.
Kids Klimb (Ages 5-16)
Kids Klimb is a time for all the little climbers to have fun on the wall. Kids can now climb during normal operational hours! All equipment & instruction is provided. Parent or Guardian must be a student or HPER member). A Climbing Wall Waiver is required for each child prior to the climb and must be signed by a parent or gardian, who must be a current UA student or HPER member. Kids may now climb at no additional charge. Kid Klimbers must be large enough to fit safely into a climbing harness.
1. Participation in all activities in the HPER Building, at the UREC Sports Complex, or in any program sponsored by UREC, regardless of location, is voluntary on behalf of all participants. All participants acknowledge and agree that the University of Arkansas does not provide insurance for any of its activities and shall not be liable for any injuries that occur at any of these locations or in any of its programs.
2. The climbing wall may be used only when climbing wall staff is present.
3. Participants must sign a waiver of release prior to utilizing the climbing wall.
4. Climbing wall participants must successfully complete belay skills assessment prior to belaying.
5. Climbing wall participants must follow belay and climbing procedures established by the UREC
Department at all times.
6. The UREC staff reserves the right to ask participants to leave the facility at any time for unsafe or inappropriate behavior.
7. Participants are required to properly use the ropes, carabiners, and belay devices provided by the UREC Department.
8. Participants must use approved safety equipment when utilizing the climbing wall: harnesses, shoes, and helmets are provided at no cost (Participants may not use personal climbing hardware or ropes).
9. For bouldering or lead climbing up to the lowest hanger, a spotter is recommended.
11. Top-rope and lead climbers must have an approved belayer while climbing.
12. Climber and belayer harnesses must be double backed or properly fed through buckles at the waist
and leg loops.
13. Proper clothing and footwear are required at all times. Climbing with bare feet or in sandals is not permitted.
14. Jewelry, clothing, and hair should be properly secured to avoid entanglement in climbing equipment.
15. Loose chalk and chalk blocks are not permitted.
16. Instruction is to be given by the climbing wall staff only. Instruction is for indoor climbing use only. Further instruction is necessary for climbing outdoors.